I´m here! I spent 14 hours in a layover in Lima airport, wanting to go out into the city and see things, but not wanting to lug around my carryon luggage - a french horn with duct-tape handles! But in the end, I think God wanted me to stay in the airport - it was a place with few distractions and lots of time, and I read a lot of John, worked on my project of memorizing Mark (starting from the end - if I memorize 3 verses a day, I´ll have it all in memory by when I´m done here in May! I´d love it if some - or all - of you would join me!), and read much of the mission story Through Gates of Splendor. It amazed me how many topics God put in both what I read, letters from friends I was reading, the Adventist Medical Evangelism Network conference I attended just before leaving, and in some of the scripure I read (John 12:24-26) at the same time. Like about not holding back anything from total surrender to God´s will.
When I arrived in Pucallpa last night, I was met by two of my fellow SMs. We made our way through the maze of people at the airport, found an old Corolla taxi, and found our way to a hostel. This morning was for some food shopping, calling family to assure them of my safe arrival, and checking email and blogging (as you can see!) Next up, the trip out to Kilometer 38, where I´ll be living for the next 9 months!
No pictures this time, until I figure out how to get them from my camera onto the cybercafe computers :(. Also, I haven´t taken too many, since it goes against my 3rd world security instincs to pull out a camera in the middle of a city - too much advertising!
There´s plenty to see though, tin roofed concrete buildings, motortricycle taxis, and lots of friendly people. I can´t fluently talk to them yet, but that will improve. For now, I can get around, read signs, and ask basic questions, but when someone strings many sentences in a row, I´m a gonner!
2 comments:
Nice reading choices! I'm also reading Mark on weekdays and John on Sundays. I love them both - for very different reasons! I'll try and join you in memorizing, although that could be a challenge with my current schedule. "Through Gates of Splendor" is a good one too - I love Elizabeth Elliot, though I haven't read that book. (She's Episcopalian - did you know?)
I understand why you don't want to take pictures, but we want to see where you are! Your descriptive language skills allow me to almost envision your environment . . . but not quite. Hopefully you can figure out the computers and get some up soon.
Keep posting! Still praying.
Bon Voyage :D
Hope that you had a good trip, Project Impact was awesome today, except that I nailed Corrie in the head with a rake(she is ok). Besides that not much else happened. We definitely are missing you.
Post a Comment