Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Warning - GOD AT WORK!

Since God got me started thinking about student missions, He's been hard at work making all the details work. First, He delivered my application to a mission location I'd never heard about or applied to. Then He arranged for me to be able to contact them, despite the program leader's travels and my location in the isolated, phone and internet deprived, Colorado mountains, and for them to accept me without filling out an entire new application the organization usually requires, which I simply wouldn't have been able to get done. When I finally got done with the awesome, but highly time intensive job of leading teens on trips and mentoring them spiritually for Sunset Lake Camp in Washington, there were only two weeks before I was supposed to leave. But with no tickets and no money, I didn't know where to start.

I thought that I might have to pay the expenses out of pocket, at a time when my family needed as much of my summer earnings as possible to get through a financial crisis and move. But God stepped in again, and persuaded Union College to let me go, on the faith that my funding, to the tune of $2500, would arrive. We booked the tickets, finalized plans, and began packing to leave.

The next weekend, at my home church in Brunswick, Maine, God provided the opportunity for me to tell a little of where He'd been leading. So many of the church members expressed their support, saying they'd be praying, and giving donations. On the way home from church, when I opened the envelope where I'd been placing the donations, I found there MORE THAN ENOUGH! I'd expected to raise a couple hundred dollars, perhaps, but God had decided to blow me away with His faithfulness and the generosity of the church! Thank you so much to everyone who donated or is praying for me - God has used you to increase my faith, and let me know He's got everything under control!

Now I'm in the final flurry of putting clothes and supplies in my 2 boxes, packing up my room, and spending time with my parents, who I won't see until next May! I'm so glad God's been clear that this is where He wants me. Otherwise, the stresses of leaving great friends at camp, moving, leaving Brunswick and the wonderful people there, uncertainty about my parents and their jobs, AND going to a new country, with a language I speak inadequately, would simply be too great. I know I couldn't handle it alone. But as it is, I know that God is in control, and that as overwhelming as challenges may seem, God dwarfs them all!

The pictures are borrowed from Ansley Howe, who worked with Touch of Love this last school year and summer. I hope to have my own to post soon!

Check back regularly, for more news of how God leads His project in Pucallpa, Peru!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Excellent! Amazing! Go God!

May God continue to do even more for you than this as you engage His adventure.

Evan said...

Awesome God... and I am glad that you are letting God work through you this year. take care man.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about all the things you've been calling about! We're up to Mark 16:9-20 so far. Love you LOADS! Hugs and kisses, Mom and Dad (How do we say that in Spanish?) P.S. I like all the smattering of Spanish words you sprinkle in your notes.

Ansley said...

Hey, cool pictures!