This summer, for the first time in 5 years, I didn't work a summer job. I was planning to go to medical school this fall, and wanted a chance to see my family and dear friends (time with whom has been precious and scarce, living far from home and working all of the last 4 summers!) But in doing so, I lost two things that had been important parts of my last 4 summers. I didn't make a conscious decision to live with a ministry purpose, and I didn't have a group of others who had made that decision to spur me on and keep me accountable. As an insightful friend put it: "It's hard to stay focused without something to focus on."
It fits in very well with a concept I learned today in my first day at Amazing Facts Center for Evangelism. It's not a new concept, per se, but fresh in my mind. There are three (at least) major disciplines in the Christian walk: Bible study, prayer, and witnessing/sharing. Without all three, it's hard to grow spiritually. If Bible study is like eating, and prayer the breath of the soul, sharing about Jesus might be like exercise. You can't live without it. It may come through daily tasks, but if it's not there somewhere, you'll atrophy. Get bedsores. Lose pulmonary function. And worse!
(Now you don't have to be officially working in a job focused on leading people to Jesus to have that purpose. It's even possible to be employed in and still not care about evangelism. But I hope whatever you're doing, you do it looking for ways to share Jesus with others. I know when I don't, life just isn't as much fun!)
"Working to bring people to Jesus will change your life. It's the greatest joy this side of heaven." - Wes Peppers
1 comment:
Good thoughts my friend. Glad to see you are blogging again!
Post a Comment